Falling asleep may seem like an impossible dream when you’re wide awake at 3 am, but a good night’s sleep is more under your control than you might think. Following healthy sleep habits can make the difference between restlessness and restful slumber.
Researchers have identified a variety of practices and habits—known as “sleep hygiene"—that can help anyone maximize the hours they spend sleeping, even those whose sleep is affected by insomnia, jet lag, or shift work.
So, here are some simple tips to improve your sleep:
1. Turn off your phone. 30-60 minutes before bed, turn off electronics. We know it's hard. We know social media is addictive and you have emails to check, but Facebook will still be there in the morning, as will your emails. Do yourself a favour, switch it off and leave it downstairs. If you need it for an alarm, then turn off the WiFi and put the phone on the other side of your room. Leaving work (and potentially stress) outside of your 'sleep zone' will do marvels for your mental health, wellbeing, and sleep quality.
2. Read before bed Instead of scrolling through Instagram, watching repeats of Love Island, or stressing about work, try settling into several pages of a book instead. Reading before bed really is such a great way of switching your mind off from what’s been going on that day, and sinking into a state of relaxation.
3. Meditation If you don't feel like reading, there are a multitude of meditation videos on Youtube (you don't need to look at your phone, you just need headphones) which are perfect for ultimate relaxation and peace. Sometimes, If you fall asleep halfway through the meditation then that’s fine. Winding down with meditation does wonders for peace of mind, stress levels, helping you to sleep and improving brain function
For more information about meditating with a scented candle, click HERE
4. Gentle exercise and stretching
Easing tension in the muscles with gentle stretches improves circulation which helps you get a good night’s sleep. Stretching relaxes the body and steadies the breath, removing tension that may have built up throughout the day.
5. Set the mood and use the power of fragrance. You can now turn your bedroom into a chilled environment by lowering the lights and lighting a scented candle.
Our ‘Calm’ French Lavender scented candle has been created to enhance your moments of relaxation. Simply light it, enjoy the natural warm flickering light and let the pure, natural essential oil properties soothe you and prepare you for sleep.